Skip to main content

While You're Waiting on Your Miracle

My Holiday Movie Watchlist!!! 2022 Edition

Will all of these get watched? Mmm, probably not. But I’ll have to do at least a few of them because I said I would, lol. In truth, I love Holiday movies—when I can force myself to sit down and watch them; it’s the pausing to take a rest in the middle of a busy season and regular busy life that is the difficult part. So, here is my declaration to hopefully rope myself into watching a couple of these, along with a little reminder to you, dear reader, to make a tea or a cocoa, put on a favorite holiday film, and take a break if you need it. 😉

A Hallmark Christmas Movie

  

I’ve been watching one or two of these every Christmas season for the past few years (Holly and Ivy was last year's choice), and I’ve enjoyed every one I’ve seen so far! They have such a perfect, cozy, heartwarming vibe that helps get me in the mood for the season if I’m struggling to really feel it (hello, living in the south and never having snow for Christmas time. :p)

I’ve already watched The Noel Diary, which is technically a Netflix movie, but I find a lot of the Netflix holiday films have a similar vibe. So, I’m kinda counting this one. 😉

 

A Christmas Classic I’ve Never Seen

My family does a lot of animated classics like Charlie Brown and The Polar Express, but there are a lot of old-time, black-and-white Christmas movies that I’ve just never seen. I watched White Christmas two years ago and really enjoyed that, so I’m looking for another one to try this year. If you have any suggestions, please leave them below!

Angela’s Christmas

One of those aforementioned animated movies that I've watched with my family. It is too cute!!! It’s about this little girl who sees Baby Jesus in a Nativity and thinks he must be cold up there all alone. So she takes him home to warm him up, and it’s just too adorable. A quick watch that I highly recommend!


A Christmas Prince film series

I’ve been eyeing this series for years, and after watching The Princess Switch last year, I’ve realized these royal Christmas sagas really hit the spot for me. They’re the cutest mix of sappy romance and these elegant, regal holiday vibes, and I'm just so here for it.  

The Man Who Invented Christmas

My second favorite Christmas movie of all time, and a must for me every holiday season. I don’t know much about Dickens’ life (or how much creative license this movie takes 😉), but I just enjoy the Christmassy vibes, the English accents, and the way it shows a writer’s mind so accurately. Beautiful, emotional, and honestly, a lot of fun too.

 

The Nativity Story

My favorite Christmas movie of all time! It is intense, more or less the opposite of the previous cozy Christmas vibes. But it just personalizes Mary and Joseph so well, turning them from Christmas story characters into real, genuine people. I love the emotions of it all, the several different stories playing out at once, and how everyone interconnects with and encounters Jesus in the end. It just makes me think, “This is what it could have actually been like. This is what real people lived through.” And it gives me this whole new appreciation for the original Christmas and the eternal impact of the story. 😊

 

Bonus Movies if I Get to Them

Slumberland

I actually don’t know if this is even a Christmas movie? But it came out recently on Netflix, and the trailer looks like an exciting, emotional, almost-BFG type, so I’ll try and give it a watch sometime soon.

Dash and Lily

It’s based on a YA book, it’s cute, and it’s Christmas. So yes.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I genuinely don’t know if this is a Christmas or a Halloween movie. But I keep seeing it around, and it’s apparently a semi-classic that I’ve never seen. So, hoping to rectify that soon.

***

And we’re done! *reviews list* That is… very overambitious. But you know what, I’ll at least get to a few of them and maybe come back for the rest next year. 😊

What are you looking forward to watching this Christmas? Other activities or traditions you’re excited for? Can’t wait to hear from you, and I’ll see you in the comment section!

Comments

  1. Oohh you'll be glad to see White Christmas I think. And I've been wanting to see the Man Who invented Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed White Christmas, yeah! And The Man Who Invented Christmas is SO GOOD, especially as a writer, haha.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Time is Here :)

Unsplash The snow—even fake snow—the wreaths, the Christmas color, and decor. The tree, the giving, the scents. The lights, the events, the togetherness. A brief little pocket of the year, where everything and everyone can be just a little bit better, a touch more wonderful, and a lot more magical. Christmas comes but once a year, and I want to enjoy every moment. 😊

Coming into the Christmas Spirit

I am not very good at the Christmas spirit. Most years, I'm insistent that the holiday season does not begin until after the fourth Thursday of November, and I used to hate when stores would unveil their Christmas wreaths and trees right after Halloween. There were even a few years when I never felt that desire for the Christmas season at all (until maybe Christmas Eve or something) and went through the whole of December wondering if I was becoming the Grinch.  This year, though, I was the one ready for the holidays before October even ended. I snuck in some of my favorites, For King and Country, Pentatonix, and Jess and Gabe’s “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” while nibbling on Halloween candy. A part of me kept thinking that there was no way Thanksgiving was already around the corner, yet at the same time, I was quite content with my mishmash of vibrant leaves and holiday jingles. I noticed a similar anomaly last year, in that I was READY for the holidays by the time December cam

What Makes Readers Care About a Story?

 Lately, I’ve been watching a lot of Abbie Emmons' videos , and one of the main things I’ve heard her talk about is why people engage with stories and what makes them matter. One of her claims (and this was likely hyperbole, so I’m not taking it fully literally) is that people don’t really care about the storyworld or gorgeous writing or anything extra like that, rather they come to a story to experience the characters and their internal conflict . To a certain extent, I think this is true. I mean, I definitely come to stories for the characters. Everything else can be chef’s-kiss wonderful, but if I don’t care about the protagonist, I’m going to knock off at least one star from the review. Vice versa, there can be any number of iffy sections with the writing and I might not even know what the what was the plot, but if I fell head over heels for the characters’ journeys, they’ll go on my favorites list till the end of time. So, while this statement is certainly true for me, I’m