Skip to main content

While You're Waiting on Your Miracle

While You're Waiting on Your Miracle

 I’ve been praying for something for a long time.

Original Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

Well, I’ve been praying for a lot of things actually. A lot of the same prayers cycled and recycled depending on urgency for the past several years. At first, it was a simple “Lord, I ask that You would make a way for x to happen, so that I would be able to do y. Thank You so much, Amen. 😊” And I’d go about my day, believing things would start to happen. But the more I prayed, the farther away my requests became. It went from praying for a natural path to these things to daily begging God for a miracle—because no way could see any of this working out without one.

I felt like I’d put in an application at the Office of Miracles, complete with my resume, measure of faith, time spent in prayer, good works performed, etc. To be frank, I felt like I qualified for a miracle. I stood kinda twiddling my thumbs as the Angel at the desk put on his spectacles and glanced over my paperwork (God Himself of course was unavailable). Finally, the Angel looked up at me, folded his hands and said, “Everything appears to be in order. However, miracles are out of stock for the foreseeable future. You’ll have to move to the back of the line.”

Naturally, I overturned the table on him. ;)

That’s kind of a joke, but I do think that’s how we feel sometimes. Those of us who grew up in Church, we often know on a technical level that it is by grace and only grace we are saved. God provides good things not because we’ve done enough good works but because He is good, because every good gift comes from Him (James 1:17). It’s the only way we get them. Yet, at the same time, we often subconsciously hold this belief that our good works will “count” or grant us brownie points. We think (and are sometimes taught) that if we just learn to pray the right way and give the right amount in the offering, God will return to us all that we desire.

When that doesn’t work, we start to get desperate and fall into all manner of things. I’ve cycled through anger with God, crippling anxiety, depression, despair, and back again. I’ve watched other people gain the same blessings I’ve pleaded for and racked my brain, trying to figure out why it wouldn’t work for me, wildly seeking some kind of magic bullet to pray, give, or fast “correctly,” so that I can finally convince God to bless me. And over the last several weeks, as I realized that’s what I was doing, I’ve started to step back and remember: that’s not how it works.

Certainly, serving and sacrificing for others, spending time in the Bible, fasting, praying, all of these disciplines of a Christ follower are very, very good. They matter, they’re just plain good for us, and there is a reward for them in Heaven! But I’m not doing them for the primary purpose of bargaining with God for a miracle. I’m not doing them so that I can stack up each thing as a point in my favor, but solely so that I can be found faithful. Doing good to others is for the good of those others; spending time with God is because I want to love Him and understand Him better, regardless of what I encounter next.

God has His timing and His plan; He will provide what I need when the time is right. Not because He’s “paying me back” for good things I’ve done, but because He is a loving Father who knows how to give good gifts to His children (Matthew 7:11). I’m not trying to prove with prayer that I love God enough or by doing good works that I’m good enough for a miracle. Instead, it’s my job to trust Him here, for as long as I’m here, and to be found faithful.

I’m definitely still praying for miracles; I’m definitely still doing as much good as I can; but I’m also trying to shift my perspective to doing these things out of love, for others and for God, to actually want to give and to serve and to seek God with all my heart, instead of just desperately seeking everything I feel I’m missing. The work I do, I do in order to be faithful to my current callings. The miracle I need will happen when God deems it right.

If you feel comfortable, I’d love to know: have you ever gone through something similar? Please share any tips for persevering! I know they’ll be helpful to me and to others! On the other hand, are you going through something like this right now? Know that you are not alone and that I would love to be praying for you <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Time is Here :)

Unsplash The snow—even fake snow—the wreaths, the Christmas color, and decor. The tree, the giving, the scents. The lights, the events, the togetherness. A brief little pocket of the year, where everything and everyone can be just a little bit better, a touch more wonderful, and a lot more magical. Christmas comes but once a year, and I want to enjoy every moment. 😊

What Makes Readers Care About a Story?

 Lately, I’ve been watching a lot of Abbie Emmons' videos , and one of the main things I’ve heard her talk about is why people engage with stories and what makes them matter. One of her claims (and this was likely hyperbole, so I’m not taking it fully literally) is that people don’t really care about the storyworld or gorgeous writing or anything extra like that, rather they come to a story to experience the characters and their internal conflict . To a certain extent, I think this is true. I mean, I definitely come to stories for the characters. Everything else can be chef’s-kiss wonderful, but if I don’t care about the protagonist, I’m going to knock off at least one star from the review. Vice versa, there can be any number of iffy sections with the writing and I might not even know what the what was the plot, but if I fell head over heels for the characters’ journeys, they’ll go on my favorites list till the end of time. So, while this statement is certainly true for me, I’m

Coming into the Christmas Spirit

I am not very good at the Christmas spirit. Most years, I'm insistent that the holiday season does not begin until after the fourth Thursday of November, and I used to hate when stores would unveil their Christmas wreaths and trees right after Halloween. There were even a few years when I never felt that desire for the Christmas season at all (until maybe Christmas Eve or something) and went through the whole of December wondering if I was becoming the Grinch.  This year, though, I was the one ready for the holidays before October even ended. I snuck in some of my favorites, For King and Country, Pentatonix, and Jess and Gabe’s “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” while nibbling on Halloween candy. A part of me kept thinking that there was no way Thanksgiving was already around the corner, yet at the same time, I was quite content with my mishmash of vibrant leaves and holiday jingles. I noticed a similar anomaly last year, in that I was READY for the holidays by the time December cam