Skip to main content

While You're Waiting on Your Miracle

Black Widow: Movie Review *some SPOILERS*

 So. I watched the Black Widow movie.


What I Loved:

Yelena. Just Yelena.

Just look at her little face

In all seriousness though, Natasha's sister made the movie—to the point that I almost feel like it should’ve been called Yelena Belova, instead of Black Widow. Granted, they’re both Black Widows, but, you know. I don’t think that’s a good thing on the storytelling side (more on that later), but from an entertainment standpoint, I didn’t mind it. Yelena is such a genuine sweetheart, so cute and funny and sassy and NORMAL, despite all she was subjected to and forced to do. 

I think that's actually what made me fall so in love with her: the fact that she feels. So many others in that Marvel spy arena either pretend they don’t feel or laugh it off in this wry, sarcastic kind of way, or kind of walk around with sad eyes but never really say what’s going on. Yelena wears all her emotions on her sleeve, totally unapologetically. She still does the job and she focuses on the mission, but she never hides the fact that she’s hurting or that she’s angry—and rightfully so. It was really sweet and refreshing to see a character so fierce and powerful, yet still containing and portraying the full gamut of human emotion and never once acting like she had to hide that or apologize for it.

Altogether, Yelena is a fierce cinnamon roll who deserves all the best that life can give. I would 100% watch a movie about their family adventures JUST so I could see more of her.

 

What I Learned:

I thought the movie did a really creative and nuanced job of showing different perspectives in a found family that was originally forced together. It was interesting to watch: how the parents clearly cared about their girls, but suppressed that and pushed away from it because of how they’d been trained and what they were forcing themselves to believe. Alexei and Melina did not make good choices for their children, but, at the same time, the movie does a beautiful job of showing the little ways that they did care—or tried to care—and could potentially do better if given the chance.

It made me want to try writing about a family like that. The concept of found family is super popular, but it’s always a group of people who kind of stumbled into and then eventually chose each other. The dynamics and dysfunction in a found family that was originally forced together, yet could still choose to genuinely love and care about each other, that's something I would be interested in exploring in my own writing. 

 

What I Thought Was Lacking:
Note: this section will have the most spoilers, just so you know.
😉

There were two major things that, in my opinion, slipped through the cracks for this movie. The first I touched on earlier: how you really don’t learn much about Natasha. We’ve seen her almost since the start of the MCU, yet we know so little about her, her past, her true personality, her hopes and dreams, etc. In the Avengers movies, it always felt to me like she was hiding a part of herself, and that feeling was never fully resolved for me in this film. I was expecting them to open up this treasure trove of “this is who Natasha really is,” but that never happens. Presumably, her journey is to discover her family and then rescue them, but as far as personal growth and change as the main character OR learning about the specifics of her past (as we do for the title characters in the Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man movies), I didn’t see much from her.

The second issue kinda ties into the above, namely, what even is the Red Room? How does it work, how did it get here? Why is it here? Also, what was with the ballet thing from Natasha’s dream sequences in Age of Ultron? The movie relies a lot on previous and potentially comic book knowledge, which to an extent, can be done in a series so extensive. However, because not everyone is going to follow every movie and because we’ve waited A LONG TIME for this movie, I think it should’ve given more specific and clearer answers, instead of just vague ideas the viewer can try and compile from previous films. The movie also doesn’t answer villain questions like who even is Dreykov and how did he create the Red Room? Why does he have so much power, ability, resources, etc.? And for Pete’s sake, why does he hate little girls? Granted, the movie is entertaining enough that I didn’t think about any of that until after I finished it, but in hindsight, the viewer isn’t told anything about the Red Room that we didn’t previously know. And, especially after waiting so long for answers, well, I would’ve liked more answers.

 

Closing:

As a whole, I did enjoy the movie, and I’d give it about 4 stars out of 5. My only other regret is that it came after Endgame, so Natasha’s Avengers family didn’t get to meet her Red Room one before the major series ended. xD

Have you guys seen Black Widow? What have you thought about MCU content since Infinity War and Endgame finished off? Always love talking with you… but be warned, I have opinions. 😉 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Time is Here :)

Unsplash The snow—even fake snow—the wreaths, the Christmas color, and decor. The tree, the giving, the scents. The lights, the events, the togetherness. A brief little pocket of the year, where everything and everyone can be just a little bit better, a touch more wonderful, and a lot more magical. Christmas comes but once a year, and I want to enjoy every moment. 😊

What Makes Readers Care About a Story?

 Lately, I’ve been watching a lot of Abbie Emmons' videos , and one of the main things I’ve heard her talk about is why people engage with stories and what makes them matter. One of her claims (and this was likely hyperbole, so I’m not taking it fully literally) is that people don’t really care about the storyworld or gorgeous writing or anything extra like that, rather they come to a story to experience the characters and their internal conflict . To a certain extent, I think this is true. I mean, I definitely come to stories for the characters. Everything else can be chef’s-kiss wonderful, but if I don’t care about the protagonist, I’m going to knock off at least one star from the review. Vice versa, there can be any number of iffy sections with the writing and I might not even know what the what was the plot, but if I fell head over heels for the characters’ journeys, they’ll go on my favorites list till the end of time. So, while this statement is certainly true for me, I’m

Coming into the Christmas Spirit

I am not very good at the Christmas spirit. Most years, I'm insistent that the holiday season does not begin until after the fourth Thursday of November, and I used to hate when stores would unveil their Christmas wreaths and trees right after Halloween. There were even a few years when I never felt that desire for the Christmas season at all (until maybe Christmas Eve or something) and went through the whole of December wondering if I was becoming the Grinch.  This year, though, I was the one ready for the holidays before October even ended. I snuck in some of my favorites, For King and Country, Pentatonix, and Jess and Gabe’s “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” while nibbling on Halloween candy. A part of me kept thinking that there was no way Thanksgiving was already around the corner, yet at the same time, I was quite content with my mishmash of vibrant leaves and holiday jingles. I noticed a similar anomaly last year, in that I was READY for the holidays by the time December cam