Skip to main content

While You're Waiting on Your Miracle

Writing What You Know

I’ve seen much conflict over such seemingly simple writing advice: that you should write what you know. As a fantasy, sci-fi, dystopian girl (when I started writing), I worked mostly on things that I had made up entirely in my head, so it didn’t seem to apply to me one way or the other.

However, as I’ve gotten older and I desire to do more than simply write a story, but also to use such stories to explore larger topics and themes, I’ve seen life throw me situations that make me wonder about this advice. In my first WIP, Low Expectations, a major theme in the tipping point is faith through impossible circumstances. These past few years, I (and the rest of the world) have had to walk through a million different hurdles and hurts that have strained my spirit and stretched my beliefs. The WIP I’m outlining, The Second Prince, is going to be thick with grief. Before starting this story, I hadn’t experienced much loss in my life; yet, suddenly, I find myself grieving many things: long-held dreams and stolen chances, close friends and beloved family, whether these people have actually died or only the relationship has. In penning a story on a girl in her 20’s, seeking every entrance to the brave new world of adulthood, I find myself being stretched—and even sometimes desiring— to take on new responsibilities, switch up stale schedules from previous seasons, and begin to step out of my comfort zone.

I’m not strictly happy about most of these circumstances, and yet they play into my writing so clearly, that it is impossible to see them as coincidences. As trying as it feels, as extended as this time seems, there’s a strange comfort in it somewhere, None of this is by accident. All these stories from my life will matter someday. In the small details and interwoven themes, these experiences will enter the artwork I create, and the realness I impart as a result of experiencing these emotions will be palpable. That authenticity will resonate, and maybe, it will touch the heart of someone in a similar situation who doesn’t have the words to speak of what they’re going through.

I found this quote once where a writer* encouraged with the words, “Everything is material.” Meaning both that all things on Earth are material, instead of eternal, and that everything you go through as a creator is material for your creations. Now I don’t want to belittle anyone’s pain by relegating it to, “Ooh! This can be inspiration later!” and I don’t want to ignore my own pain by folding it away into a story instead of feeling it for myself. Yet a certain hope does flow from that point of view: if everything is material, then perhaps, one day, all of these pains can be used. I can use them. I will use them. And if there comes a time later when I use these struggles, then “later” does exist. This struggling season ends, and another one begins. Something happens after all of this.

And then, also, if none of it is coincidence, then there’s Someone up there composing all of it. And maybe, He really is working it for our good.

Maybe that’s what they meant all along, by write what you know. Write what you’ve learned, what you’ve experienced. Write what you’ve seen and heard and felt with your soul. Write your story, simply, by any other name.


*Google says the quote is by Philip Roth, but I don’t fully know the context of the interview/book where he said it. So, I’m not certain if it’s the same one I heard. :) 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Time is Here :)

Unsplash The snow—even fake snow—the wreaths, the Christmas color, and decor. The tree, the giving, the scents. The lights, the events, the togetherness. A brief little pocket of the year, where everything and everyone can be just a little bit better, a touch more wonderful, and a lot more magical. Christmas comes but once a year, and I want to enjoy every moment. 😊

Coming into the Christmas Spirit

I am not very good at the Christmas spirit. Most years, I'm insistent that the holiday season does not begin until after the fourth Thursday of November, and I used to hate when stores would unveil their Christmas wreaths and trees right after Halloween. There were even a few years when I never felt that desire for the Christmas season at all (until maybe Christmas Eve or something) and went through the whole of December wondering if I was becoming the Grinch.  This year, though, I was the one ready for the holidays before October even ended. I snuck in some of my favorites, For King and Country, Pentatonix, and Jess and Gabe’s “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” while nibbling on Halloween candy. A part of me kept thinking that there was no way Thanksgiving was already around the corner, yet at the same time, I was quite content with my mishmash of vibrant leaves and holiday jingles. I noticed a similar anomaly last year, in that I was READY for the holidays by the time December cam

What Makes Readers Care About a Story?

 Lately, I’ve been watching a lot of Abbie Emmons' videos , and one of the main things I’ve heard her talk about is why people engage with stories and what makes them matter. One of her claims (and this was likely hyperbole, so I’m not taking it fully literally) is that people don’t really care about the storyworld or gorgeous writing or anything extra like that, rather they come to a story to experience the characters and their internal conflict . To a certain extent, I think this is true. I mean, I definitely come to stories for the characters. Everything else can be chef’s-kiss wonderful, but if I don’t care about the protagonist, I’m going to knock off at least one star from the review. Vice versa, there can be any number of iffy sections with the writing and I might not even know what the what was the plot, but if I fell head over heels for the characters’ journeys, they’ll go on my favorites list till the end of time. So, while this statement is certainly true for me, I’m