Skip to main content

While You're Waiting on Your Miracle

Four Tips for Giving Intentional Christmas Gifts This Year

 A bit different than my normal posts I know, but I was talking to my sisters the other day about the people who give the best holiday gifts. Those who seemed to look right into our minds and see things we didn’t even know we needed but were the perfect gifts for that year. Then I thought about the times I’ve been able to give gifts that were well-appreciated and came up with a few tips from my giving strategy for the Christmas season. Hope you enjoy!

Tip Number 1: Listen Throughout the Year

Sounds a little late, haha, but you can still start this today! Pay attention in conversations: what are others’ frustrations? What would make life easier for them? What’s a wistful thing they wished they could have or do (experiences make great gifts!) but either aren’t able to or feel they can’t justify the money for?

As an example, my dad started working from home after COVID-19, but since then, because of his desk setup, he’s had some neck pain from looking down all day. Last Christmas, I waited for the sales and was able to buy him a heated neck massager to help relieve some of that discomfort.

Another year, my older brother, knowing that Star Wars is my all-time favorite thing, bought me the prequel trilogy for Christmas (!!!!!). This was before the days of Disney Plus, and our library didn’t have the movies, so I was rarely able to watch them. He’d given me a gift I hadn’t asked for – or even hinted at – but he’d listened well enough to know it was something I wanted.

These gifts, and other great ones I’ve given and received, all came from paying attention to the gap between what the person is working with now and what would be useful for them to have. It’s even better because they didn’t ask for it and it comes as a total surprise! 😊

Bonus Tip:

Have an Amazon list (or keep track in a notebook) for each close person you’re buying for and add ideas throughout the year. It makes a great starting point, especially if you’re having a hard time remembering what your mom or sister mentioned three months ago. :p 

Tip Number Two: Start Early and Plan Ahead

I know, I know. I used to be one of those people who was staunchly against any thought of Christmas until after Thanksgiving was over! But I now see it can be really valuable to start thinking about this and begin to get a plan together as the year winds down, even if you don’t intend to actually buy anything until December.

This plan should include:

  • Who you’re buying for,
  • Your budget for each person,
  • Favorite items/ideas you’ve gathered throughout the year, and
  • Where you intend to shop for them

I suggest checking online, then going into stores, so you have an idea of what you’re looking for. Even if you prefer to be a bit spontaneous with gifts, having an idea of what the store has available – and what other stores are offering – can be really helpful when you’re making your final purchase.

Bonus Tip:

If you're able, start saving up your Christmas fund early in the year, so that you have some extra set aside for that budget we talked about earlier. ;)

Tip Number Three: Communicate with Others

I have 7 brothers and sisters… plus parents… plus coworkers/ friends who I’m buying for, so it gets expensive fast! If you have someone who you know won’t spill the beans and is buying for the same person, consider communicating with them about going in together for a gift. Even if you’re not pooling your money, letting them know what you’re thinking, so as to get ideas from them or make sure you’re not getting the same gift can help inspire you and take a lot of stress off.

Tip Number Four: Think Evergreen Gifts vs. Short-Term ones

I’m not always able to do this, but I try to keep an eye out for evergreen gifts: gifts that people would be pleased to receive at any time of the year rather than something that’s more a passing fad. For me, that’s meant thinking in terms of long-term interests for my siblings: an expansive encyclopedia on their favorite fantasy world; fandom-inspired outfits they can wear throughout the year; sports gear or instructional books from a YouTuber they watch (one of my sisters calls me her “Mark Crilley supplier,” lol. 😉 ). Basically, I like to think in terms of things that will last throughout the year rather than new gadgets that are just coming out at Christmas time.

Bonus tip:

Gift cards make fantastic evergreen gifts, especially if you pick a store specific to the recipient! It doesn’t even have to be a huge amount on the card, just a little bit extra for them to treat themselves at their favorite place. 😊

***

And that’s it! My Christmas gift strategy broken down into four tips (plus three bonuses 😉) for intentional Christmas gifts. I hope they help as you begin your holiday shopping!

How do you normally go about buying gifts? Have you already bought some this year? (I haven't quite gotten everyone yet, but I have bought for several people!) Can’t wait to hear from you, and I will see you in the comment section!

Comments

  1. Ahh, this is super helpful! Should have read it before I made & bought all my presents for the year, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well maybe it can help you out next year! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Time is Here :)

Unsplash The snow—even fake snow—the wreaths, the Christmas color, and decor. The tree, the giving, the scents. The lights, the events, the togetherness. A brief little pocket of the year, where everything and everyone can be just a little bit better, a touch more wonderful, and a lot more magical. Christmas comes but once a year, and I want to enjoy every moment. 😊

Coming into the Christmas Spirit

I am not very good at the Christmas spirit. Most years, I'm insistent that the holiday season does not begin until after the fourth Thursday of November, and I used to hate when stores would unveil their Christmas wreaths and trees right after Halloween. There were even a few years when I never felt that desire for the Christmas season at all (until maybe Christmas Eve or something) and went through the whole of December wondering if I was becoming the Grinch.  This year, though, I was the one ready for the holidays before October even ended. I snuck in some of my favorites, For King and Country, Pentatonix, and Jess and Gabe’s “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” while nibbling on Halloween candy. A part of me kept thinking that there was no way Thanksgiving was already around the corner, yet at the same time, I was quite content with my mishmash of vibrant leaves and holiday jingles. I noticed a similar anomaly last year, in that I was READY for the holidays by the time December cam

One Year

As of today, this blog has been live for a whole year! A nd I have not posted nearly as much as I intended, haha . Honestly, it feels like I just started blogging again, and I can't believe we're creeping up to the end of 2022. This year has flown by. But on the bright side, it is  Fall again, my favorite season, and that does lift the spirits. Praise God for Autumn days <3 Source:  https://contemplatingoutlander.tumblr.com/post/188069902172/welcome-october-from-anne-of-green-gables Since my last post, I’ve been doing a lot of writing. I hit some snags in my WIP, a Cinderella reimagining called The Second Prince , which have taken all my focus and brainpower to work out. In truth, they’re not totally resolved, but I’m trying to take some steps back, get the fresh opinions of fellow writers, and then see what I might be able to work out. If you’re interested, here’s the concept for the book: Prince Sirion knows that his actions in the Island War have disqualified him from