Skip to main content

While You're Waiting on Your Miracle

January 2023 Reads

Technically, I finished the first one at the very end of 2022… but it was after Christmas, so it feels close enough to 2023 to me. 😉

This was such a beautiful, atmospheric story. The writing made it feel like a fairytale, that gossamer dreamscape of not-quite real, like the story is whispered on a winter night as the waves lull you to sleep. The characters all had such beautiful, intricate backstories, and with so many different pieces moving, I was always half-questioning what was real and what was a story within the story. 

My one issue with that is that the book is pretty slow moving, so even though I would be engaged while reading it, I could easily put the book down and not come back for a couple of days. I wanted to know how everything came together, but there wasn't an urgency of need to know. Also, since we were engaging with so many different stories at once, I was unsure how—if at all—all of those pieces would come together.

But those concerns were assuaged by the end. And once the author did tie everything together, I realized that every piece had always mattered, every story held some truth, and all of it was meant to come together beautifully.

4 stars out of 5

 

I’ve been following the Contes since Jess first moved to America, and I love their channel. So obviously, when Gabe came out with a book, it was going right on the list. 😉

However, I do think this one is more autobiography/memoir than self-help book. So for fans (like me), it’s quite fascinating to get all these behind the scenes snippets about Gabe and his family, to learn some backstory about events that have only been hinted at in vlogs, and just to hear straight from him about how he’s built up some of the incredible things he’s doing today. On the self-help side, there are certainly some useful tips, but in my opinion, they weren’t revolutionary. (although it is possible that his unique perspective and writing style could make this classic advice come alive for you. So if it sounds interesting, definitely don't let my review get in the way) 😊

I will note that he does discuss some pretty heavy topics regarding relationships and such, especially when talking about his parents’ journeys to finding each other. So just a little precaution there. 😉

4 stars out of 5

 

I’ve been skipping around this one, focusing on topics and questions that interest me, but it’s definitely a different view of Heaven! It’s hard to say how much of it is certain, of course, but a lot of what he says makes a strange kind of sense, and I think it is a beautiful way to expand the traditional view. For me, Heaven’s always felt a little vague and hard to anticipate. Like, I know it’ll be great because Jesus Himself is preparing a place for His people!!!! But beyond that, it’s difficult to envision. Reading (or more accurately, listening to) this perspective helped give me a little more to look forward to and to shift my daily view to long more for the eternal than I do for the momentary.

Not yet finished, but definitely shaping up to at least 4 stars


It’s been a long time since I’ve felt so seen reading a book and I am enjoying the heck out of this one! It’s so relatable and honest because Rachel doesn’t pretend to have all this together. She’s a friend who’s right there, hand-in-hand in the struggle with you, constantly encouraging and letting you know you’re not the only one who feels this way. At the same time, her perspective stays focused, not caught up in the drudge of right now, but pointing ahead to the Way so we can both keep moving forward.

Not yet finished, but shaping up to be 5 stars out of 5

 

And that’s my latest reading/currently reading list! Have you ever read any of these? What have you been reading lately? Can’t wait to hear from you, and I’ll see you in the comment section!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Time is Here :)

Unsplash The snow—even fake snow—the wreaths, the Christmas color, and decor. The tree, the giving, the scents. The lights, the events, the togetherness. A brief little pocket of the year, where everything and everyone can be just a little bit better, a touch more wonderful, and a lot more magical. Christmas comes but once a year, and I want to enjoy every moment. 😊

Coming into the Christmas Spirit

I am not very good at the Christmas spirit. Most years, I'm insistent that the holiday season does not begin until after the fourth Thursday of November, and I used to hate when stores would unveil their Christmas wreaths and trees right after Halloween. There were even a few years when I never felt that desire for the Christmas season at all (until maybe Christmas Eve or something) and went through the whole of December wondering if I was becoming the Grinch.  This year, though, I was the one ready for the holidays before October even ended. I snuck in some of my favorites, For King and Country, Pentatonix, and Jess and Gabe’s “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” while nibbling on Halloween candy. A part of me kept thinking that there was no way Thanksgiving was already around the corner, yet at the same time, I was quite content with my mishmash of vibrant leaves and holiday jingles. I noticed a similar anomaly last year, in that I was READY for the holidays by the time December cam

One Year

As of today, this blog has been live for a whole year! A nd I have not posted nearly as much as I intended, haha . Honestly, it feels like I just started blogging again, and I can't believe we're creeping up to the end of 2022. This year has flown by. But on the bright side, it is  Fall again, my favorite season, and that does lift the spirits. Praise God for Autumn days <3 Source:  https://contemplatingoutlander.tumblr.com/post/188069902172/welcome-october-from-anne-of-green-gables Since my last post, I’ve been doing a lot of writing. I hit some snags in my WIP, a Cinderella reimagining called The Second Prince , which have taken all my focus and brainpower to work out. In truth, they’re not totally resolved, but I’m trying to take some steps back, get the fresh opinions of fellow writers, and then see what I might be able to work out. If you’re interested, here’s the concept for the book: Prince Sirion knows that his actions in the Island War have disqualified him from